- Sher Besan (Gram flour) 2 cups
- Ghee (Clarified butter) 1 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 teaspoon
- Khoya (Dried evaporated milk solids) ½ cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- Dry Fruits (sliced) for garnishing
- Melt ghee on low flame and add sifted Sher Besan in the pan. Mix well.
- Keeping the flame low, cook for 15-20 minutes and stir continuously until fragrant. The besan should be golden-yellow at this point.
- Add cardamom powder, mix well, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add half cup khoya and mix well.
- Take off from the flame once the mixture becomes uniform.
- Let the mixture cool completely.
- Add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a separate pan and cook on medium heat until sugar dissolves then cook on low flame until two-strands consistency. Check consistency by pressing the syrup between thumb and index finger. Pull apart and find formation of two strands of sugar syrup.
- Add hot sugar syrup in the besan mixture and mix well.
- Add dry fruits and mix well.
- Grease a dish with ghee.
- Pour the barfi mixture, tap the pan for removing any trapped air, sprinkle dry fruits on top.
- Let it cool then cut into pieces.
- Sift the gram flour for smooth texture.
- Stir continuously on low flame, the color and fragrance of besan is a good indication of how much roasting is needed. Don’t let the besan get brownish.
- Cook the sugar syrup to right consistency. It usually takes about 6-8 minutes after sugar is dissolved to get the right consistency.